Here is a check list of recommendations and advice for your vasectomy day. For you to have the best outcome the doctor and patient need to work as a team. Please do your best to follow it.
- Do not smoke as this increases the risk of infection.
- On the morning of your vasectomy Shave / Trim the hair from the scrotum, Wash thoroughly using soap.
- Wear a clean and supporting pair of briefs or jockey shorts. Do NOT wear boxer shorts.
- Have something to eat. This will minimise the risk of fainting or feeling light headed.
- Bring your Medicare card & bank savings / debit card to the appointment. (We cannot put your Medicare rebate onto a credit card). This way you can get your Medicare rebate instantly.
After your vasectomy go home and rest.
Lie down flat. Use ice packs (20mins on, 20 mins off) for 6 hours.
The anaesthesia will start to wear of after 2 or 3 hours. If things start to ache take the pain killers provided.
Most of the discomfort is a result of gravity dragging on the spermatic cord. The body will adjust but needs about 36hours to do so. So please try and stay off your feet during this time.
- Do not shower until the following day. The wound will heal itself over a day or two.
- Generally, men are able to return to work after 2 days but it depends on your level of activity.
- Continue to wear supportive underwear for at least 7 days. Including sleep. No boxer shorts.
- Refrain from sex or masturbation for 7 days.
- It is normal to have some blood in the semen for the first few ejaculates.
- For pain relief avoid Aspirin. Usually Paracetamol or Ibuprofen is sufficient.
After 3 months please do the semen test. The sample jar and pathology request slip will be given to you on your vasectomy day. This test is important as we need to ensure the vasa have emptied of live sperm and have not rejoined. 80% of men will be given the all clear at this time. 20% of men will still have sperm at this point and will require another test after a further month. The sample can be tested at a number of different pathology providers. These are all independent to Queensland Vasectomy. Generally, they charge around $50 per semen analysis. QML and Sullivan Nicholaides are both popular choices.
Links to possible collection centres are below:
Sullivan Nicolaides Pathology Locations N.B. Change “standard test” to “seminal fluid”
QML Pathology Collection Centres N.B. Change “standard test” to “seminal fluid”
The results will be emailed to Queensland Vasectomy. Dr Sheehan or one of the clinic nurses will call you with the results. Please contact us if you have not received your results within 1 week.
If at any time you are worried or just want to check something please call (07) 3180 1505.